Of this technique, one viewer commented:
Make sure your totes have a 2 or 5 on the bottom which means they are safe to grow or store foods in. Any other numbers mean the totes are made from chemical recycles that can be absorbed into the soil which will transfer into your food plants.
Nature is so smart, it put the medicine inside the food.
– Source Unknown
Years ago, a friend invited me to her family farm. We picked, boiled and ate corn right away. Wow! Really fresh food tastes fantastic. With those flavors in mind, I’ve sat and watched beefsteak tomatoes ripen behind my garage, each day knowing how delicious they were becoming.
Now that I know about soil contaminants and, since deer and groundhogs have invaded my ‘hood,’ growing from my ground won’t work. Planting in pots will!
Container Gardening for Food lists these plants as great to grow and eat from apartment window boxes:
- Bush/Hanging Cucumbers
- Everbearing Strawberries
- Geranium edible info
- Hanging cherry tomatoes
- Mint/Lemon Balm
- Nasturtiums edible info
- Pansies edible info
With a bit more space, these herbs and vegetables grow well in containers:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Marigold edible info
- Pole beans
- Swiss chard
The Spruce provides reminders for beginning container gardeners, including light and temperature considerations, watering and drainage, soil and more
Michigan State University Extension writes, Container gardening for food is a not just a fad; growing food in creative ways is here to stay … Seed companies have kept up with this trend as they keep developing varieties of fruit, vegetables and herbs that will grow in containers … Burpee Seed Company has a number of videos on growing vegetables in containers. Other trusted publications with good videos on the subject are Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset and Farmer’s Almanac.
MSU notes that burlap sacks can work as planters. And, the school offers booklets like:
- Container gardening with vegetables and herbs
- Container gardening in a sunny area
- Container gardening in a shady area
- Click here for more MSU resources, including a free Email digest.
5-GALLON CONTAINER GARDENS
Length: 6 Minutes 26 Seconds.
- How to Plant Potatoes in a Container. Length: 4 Minutes, 26 Seconds
- Vertical Growing [Containers with Trellises]. Length: 24 Minutes, 28 Seconds
Shop Sandra’s Art on Stickers
Art also available as shirts, puzzles, phone cases, ornaments, journals, blankets and more]
The high quality and unique Stickers produced by Fine Art America are:
- Vinyl in 3 sizes: 2×2, 3×3, 4×4, 6×6
- Kiss-cut w 1/8” border
- Available with transparent or white background
- Adhesive back clings to smooth surfaces, easy to remove
- Adhesive backing with plenty of stickiness
- Clings to any smooth surface yet easy to remove
- Priced from $3.50 to $9.20
CUSTOMIZE. Use tools with item to:
- Enlarge, reduce size of art
- Change placement of art and text
Thanks for shopping!