Succeed and Soar seeks to lift hearts and spirits, awareness and humanity. Because books help fulfill that mission, this post offers three books of fiction I hope you’ll consider.
Succeed and Soar!
Five Karat Soul
Five Karat Soul , by James McBride, is a collection of six short stories, a soul food buffet of perspectives and experiences. One presents an antiquities dealer trying to pay a self-sacrificing family a fortune. Another shares the lives of youths trying to form a band. The collection closes with a lion in a zoo sharing his experiences. The read was marvelous.
In this collection, James McBride—a musician and National Book Award Winner—demonstrates an impressive craftsmanship so that Five Karat Soul presents an entertaining and easy read, plus an education in how to write fine fiction. I learned a few things.
We are all completely beside ourselves
- Fowler has a substantial vocabulary, essential for writers. And she uses these head-scratcher, uncommon words [considered a no-no] while holding the reader, as with ‘tule fog’ in the sample text.
- Fowler also time travels a lot, sometimes leaping decades on the same page. Seeing how she handles these transitions, sliding readers from her college years, to childhood to later life proves jumps back and forth in time can be done without confusing or losing readers.
The Guardian wrote, “Many a novel has devoted itself to exploring variations of Larkin’s lament about what mums and dads do to their kids. But if any other book has done it as exhilaratingly as the achingly funny, deeply serious heart-breaker that is Fowler’s 10th novel, and made it ring true for the whole of mankind, I’ve yet to read it. This is a moral comedy to shout about from the treetops.” Full Review
An Unwanted Guest
When I chose Shari Lapeña’s book at the library, the title intrigued, but I didn’t read summary. Didn’t know what to expect. The opening lines showed how important the description of setting is in establishing the story‘s tone and ‘foreshadowing’ what’s to come. [see sample text]
I also enjoyed the novel’s Agatha Christie quality, evoking her Murder on the Orient Express and Ten Little Indians.The who-dunnit reveal is delicious.
Shop Sandra’s Succeed & Soar Art on Throw Pillows
As well as tote bags, tee shirts, journals, puzzles, phone cases, ornaments, face masks, towels, blankets, cups, posters, shower curtains and more
These pillows add a stylish statement to any room
- Fabric: 100% spun polyester poplin
- Reversible, same image printed on both sides
- A concealed zipper
- Choice of over 70 background colors
- Removable insert can be requested
- Pillow sizes: 14×14, 16×16, 18×18, 20×20, 26×26 and 20×14
- Prices from $20 to $50
NOTE: Sometimes art size must be adjusted for whole image to fit. CUSTOMIZE. Use tools with item to:
- Enlarge, reduce size of art
- Change placement of art and text
- Over 60 background colors can be chosen [shades of yellows, blues, greens, grays and more].