The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.
– Eleanor Roosevelt
Did you know:
- Milton Hershey was fired as a printer’s apprentice, He then tried to start three candy companies, all failed, before launching the Lancaster Caramel Company and the Hershey Company making chocolate, a treat for the rich, a household name.
- Lucille Ball’s [I Love Lucy] movies failed yet she became the first woman to run a major television studio.
- Sir James Dyson produced 5,126 failed prototypes and spent fifteen years as well as his savings before his vacuum cleaner succeeded.
- J. K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone while a struggling mother on welfare. After twelve rejections, a publisher bought the manuscript for USD equivalent of $4,000. Rowling is now worth $1 billion.
Eleanor Roosevelt’s words this week encourage leaps of faith while recognizing that such notions can be frightening. What if the jump leads to a crash and burn? Here are answers from those who’d know:
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
“If you set your goals ridiculously high and it’s a failure, you will fail above everyone else’s success.” —James Cameron
“What matters is this: Being fearless of failure arms you to break the rules. In doing so, you may change the culture and just possibly, for a moment, change life itself.” —Malcolm Mclaren
“Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” —Henry Ford
Succeed and Soar!
Next week, Celebrate!
7/18 Sunday: Nelson Mandela World Day
7/18 Sunday: World Listening Day
7/19 Monday: FREE Ice Cream. Here’s how to get yours.
7/20 Tuesday: National Lollipop Day [Still treasuring my last, couple Candy Cane Tootsie Roll pops from Christmas!] 7/21 Wednesday: National Hotdog Day Here are great, vegan [carrot] hotdog recipes.
7/23 Friday: National Gorgeous Grandma Day [I better start glamorizing!]
This photograph was taken in a shallow ‘cave’ behind a waterfall while camping with my daughters and grandson.
The image seems an ideal match for this post. Sometimes the barrier to our brightest possibilities is not a wall. It’s fresh, cleansing water.
Buy this poster. High quality, enhanced matte prints are:
11×14 for $21.87
16×20 for $27.84
Sandra’s Greeting Cards
Keep in touch with family and friends beautifully! My greeting cards will send smiles across the miles. Say thank you, share something funny, send birthday wishes and let folks know you’re thinking of them. My greeting cards,
- Measure 5” x 7” large enough to frame
- Made of chlorine- and acid-free, archival-quality 120 lb. premium cardstock
- Available in matte or glossy finish
- Professionally printed
- Sold in set of 10 or 20 with white envelopes
- Produced in compliance with the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
- Made in USA